The Ventura Chapter of the Southern California Soccer Referees Association serves members and leagues in the Ventura and Santa Barbara areas. Our members referee USSF affiliated games for the Coast Soccer League and Youth Tournaments sanctioned by California Youth Soccer Association-South. We are always in need of new and seasoned referees. General membership meetings are held the third Thursday of every month.
Membership Meeting Notice
Any address changes made in Arbiter, must also be made via email to Jeff Plunkett (Treasurer) so that he can make the change in Quick Books software. An address change in Arbiter does not link up with Quick Books where checks are printed. If you do not send an email to Jeff updating your address change, your tournament check will have your old address as no change was made in Quick Books. This is very important you follow up with Jeff Plunkett. It is not his responsibility to check Arbiter for address discrepancies if checks are returned.
Our meetings are held in the Education Center room at Moorpark High School. Moorpark High School is located on Tierra Rejada Road in Moorpark, CA. Take California 23 north to Tierra Rejada Road. Turn west and continue on Tierra Rejada Road approximately 3.5 miles. Turn right at Mountain Trail Street. The parking lot is on the left, 400 feet from Tierra Rejada at 12400 Mountain Trail Street. Enter campus through the parking lot gate on west side of the lot. Go between buildings L & K and then on to the end of building H. The Education Center will be on the right at the end of building H.
Thursday 7:00 pm Nov 15, 2018:
The preliminary agenda for the meeting is as follows:
Cell Phone Policy
Members are instructed that the use of cell phones during a game is unprofessional, reflects poorly on our association, and will not be tolerated either by our members or the Board of Directors. Cell phone use during a game may be allowed during game stoppage, but solely for emergencies. Cell phones are not referee equipment and shall not be carried by any association referee during a match. A claim that the phone is being used to time the game will not be considered a valid excuse for using a phone during a game.
Our membership is hereby warned that reports of improper cell phone use during a match will be taken seriously. Reports of use will be investigated by our Standards Chair to determine whether a recommendation to the Board for sanctions is warranted. Sanctions approved by the Board of Directors may include a fine of up to $30 and suspension or membership termination; as prescribed by our constitution and bylaws.
Members are further discouraged from any use of cell phones during an assignment, whether before a game or in between game halves. This time should be used by the referee team to conduct referee business, discuss game management, or rehydrate and prepare for the next game or half. Though not absolutely disallowed, cell phone use outside of game time is still discouraged. Excessive cell phone use that is determined to affect the referee team’s focus on their assigned games may still be sanctioned after an investigation by the Standards Chair.
Conflict of Interest Policy
- Members shall inform the Assignor of family members and close associates who participate in competitions serviced by the Association. The Assignor will take steps to ensure that Members are not assigned to matches involving family members and close associates.
- In the event a Member is unexpectedly assigned as referee to a match where there is a conflict of interest, e.g. at a tournament, they should attempt to find a replacement. All reasonable efforts should be made to avoid serving as the center referee. If no replacement is available, they must notify the coaches of both teams that a conflict of interest exists. Both coaches shall agree in writing prior to the start of the match. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in the Member being referred to the Standards Committee.
- A Member who was not assigned to the match may serve as a club linesman in a match where there is a conflict of interest. Their duties as a club linesman shall be limited to indicating the ball has passed out of play, as outlined in the USSF Administrative Handbook. The Member should not wear a referee uniform or shall, at a minimum remove or cover the uniform shirt while serving as a club linesman. The Member will not receive payment for the match.
- Members are reminded that they are individually responsible for filing income tax returns that include all referee-related income and expenses.
- Members are asked to complete an IRS form W9 and send it to the treasurer, Jeff Plunkett, to facilitate current year 1099 preparation that is required of our association by federal law.
Cal South and USSF Training, Certification & Upgrade Requirements
Cal South has established minimum requirements per year to ensure that recertifying referees are current with the latest trends in game management as well as the latest changes to and interpretations of the Laws of the Game. Please refer to the Cal South website for up to date training requirements.
Training Attendance Recording
Attendance is recorded at each meeting to document each referee’s training credit. Your attendance is reported to Cal South where they consolidate your training attendance, with training you get from other venues. We need to know your USSF ID number to ensure that you can get this credit. The most current training record for all attendees of our training sessions can be found by clicking on the attendance link above.
Game Assignment Questions?
Members with questions regarding their game assignments are asked to contact our assignor, Ian Anderson. Try to work any issues out with him first before contacting our Standards Chair, Mike Skinner, or a board member. Contact information for both Ian and Mike can be found in the Associations Officers page of the web site.
Certification and Recertification Clinics
USSF referee certification is required before you can be assigned games by our association. Instructions for initial certification, recertification, and upgrading can be found on the Cal South Referee Program Overview Web page.
Requirements for all referee grades as well as links to all Upgrade and/or Maintenance clinics for grades 6, & 7 and emeritus grades 15 & 16 are now on the Cal South website by going to the Cal South Referees Maintenance and Upgrade Requirements web page.
AYSO to USSF Crossover Certification
AYSO referees do not need to take the entry-level clinic if they qualify. Information for cross-certification from AYSO to USSF can be found on the Cal South Cross-Certification Web Page. Our SCSRA-Ventura Director of Member Development Reed Christy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
NISOA (College) Certification
Please e-mail Luis Gutierrez for if you need more information. Refer to the NISOA FAQ website for information on qualifying for NISOA certification. Additional NISOA information can be found on the NISOA Home page.
NISOA is not officially affiliated with SCSRA-Ventura.
SCSOA (High School) Certification
SCSOA certification is required officiate high school soccer. Please contact them with any questions.
SCSOA is not officially affiliated with SCSRA-Ventura.