Entry level, upgrade, and recertification clinics are scheduled throughout the year all over Southern California. Class schedules and registration instructions are available through the Cal South Referee Clinic Registration System.
Cal South has established minimum training requirements per year to ensure that recertifying referees our referees are current with the latest trends in game management as well as the latest changes to and interpretations of the Laws of the Game. Training session materials will include US Soccer directives, memorandums, position papers, and recent amendments to the Laws of the Game.
Continuing members are required to attend skills maintenance training sessions as a condition for annual re-certification. 2010 requirements for skills maintenance training are set by the Cal South State Referee Committee. In Service Maintenance Training and other recertification requirements by referee grade for 2010 are as follows:
|Referee Grade||Grade Description||In Service Training||Referee Professional Development Training||Minimum Exam Score||Refresher Assessment||Physical Fitness Test|
|9||Recreation Referee||5 hours||NA||80%||None||No|
|7||Referee||5 hours||3 Sessions||80%||1 Youth/Adult Match, 40 min half minimum, U17 or higher||No|
|6||State Referee||5 hours||3 Sessions||75%||1 Youth/Adult Match, 40 min half minimum, U17 or higher||FIFA Sprint & Interval Test|
|5||Nantional Candidate||5 hours||3 Sessions||80%|| |
2 Adult Division Matches, 40 min half minimum
|FIFA Sprint & Interval Test|
|13, 14, 15 & 16||Emeritus Grades||5 hours||NA||80%||None||No|
Maintenance training is available as follows:
- One hour training sessions are included as part of our regularly scheduled membership meetings.These meetings are held 10 times a year, every month except July and December.
- Members can also get credit by attending meetings at other Cal South Referee Associations. Contact the other associations for information on time and location.
- Cal South offers on line training “webinars” for grade 8 referees on the first Monday of every month.The training site link is Cal South Training Webinars. Webinar information, registration instructions, and schedule information can be found at the US Soccer Webinar Web Site. Though you must attend the web session live to get credit, Cal South has a web linked library of previous sessions posted on the Webinar link web page.
The most current training record for all attendees of our training sessions can be found by clicking on this Hyperlink.
Mentoring and Development Programs
- Mentoring is available to interested referees. Please contact our director of member development, Reed Christy for more information.
- Cal South runs a referee development program for interested youth referees.
More information can be found on the Cal South Youth Referee Development Program (YRDP) Web Site.
- Instructor Education Program
Other Development and Training Links
1) US Soccer
a) Laws of the Game Links
ii) Position Papers
b) Other Useful Publications
iii) Guide to Procedures
c) Training & Development Resources
iv) Referee News
2) Cal South Resources: